By Sherri Ierley

Juturna Springs update!

Here's an update from Juturna Springs...

Hello Everyone!! We are excited to be writing yet another update for everyone. Quite a few things have been going on recently, so lets jump right in. We sat down with the Councilman for our district a couple weeks ago and shared with him our hopes and dreams about Juturna. He was incredibly supportive and expressed his desire to help us work through our issues. To that end we asked about a textual amendment to the mining zoning code that would allow us to utilize our lake for Scuba Diving and Training. This would allow us to deliver all the facilities we have hinted at before. We are happy to say that this process has already begun. It is not a fast process, however. The law must be written carefully to prevent abuses and pass through the legislative process to become law. This comprises four major steps that we will outline below. Once the law has been changed, we will then need to return to zoning, planning and the health department. They will need site plans and will require us to have a bath house with septic and quite a few other things before we will be able to open the gates again.

The first big step is writing the law, which is currently in process. The next step will be a workshop period where county lawmakers and the employees of zoning and planning get together and make sure that the changes will not have any unforeseen negative impact on the community. From there it will go to the first reading, where the law in announced to the public and a second reading is scheduled. This second reading will be the public hearing. There the community will be invited to speak for or against the change. As soon as we have a date for that, we will let you know. The third and final reading is the vote on the law. If the law is passed, then we have a 60 day wait for the law to become active. Once it is active, we can apply for the permits and such and begin the build out.

What this will mean for you is that when we open again it will be for good. A four season facility for divers right here in Maryland. The other big thing is we will have quite a bit of the promised infrastructure in place when we do reopen. The problem right now is timing. We are not sure how long it will take us to get the zoning change to a vote, and from there the approvals for permits and construction. We have everything ready to go as soon as we get approvals, so we are still hopeful for the late spring, early summer time frame. We wish we could give you a more concrete date, but we simply do not have enough information at this time. As things progress more quickly over the next couple of months we will update you much more often on the progress and timing.

We all greatly appreciate the continued support and well wishes from all of you as we navigate this process. We look forward to bringing you a facility like no other. We still need to ask for patience as we navigate the process, but we can assure you we are working diligently to get open as quickly as is possible. If you have any questions feel free to contact us. We look forward to speaking with you all again soon.